Life is Motion

Monday, July 17, 2006

Hot child in the city

So, my second date with my city took me farther from home. SM Mall of Asia is about 15km from my house, while Pasig City, where I met a longtime friend, is about 22km from my house. Why am I so conscious about the distance? Well, I live in the suburbs and driving to different parts of the city during weekends can sometimes feel like a chore because you're already happily snug in your quiet little corner away from the noise and traffic and then you have to brave the Manila obstacle course again.

Anyway, enough of whining about driving, lets get back to my date.

I met my friend for lunch in Podium Department store. It's a snazzy high end department store where people who just want to sit down over coffee and have a conversation can actually find a quiet enough place to stay. That's a rare commodity here in the city.

My friend has become a scrawny tall thing after a year of not seeing each other. She told me she's busy as ever and she's in the process of expanding her preschool business and would soon be opening some franchise branches in the country. It's no wonder why the girl looks like she's about to keel over. We caught up on our personal lives and she announced that she is now the proud aunt of a niece from her younger sister, and a nephew from her financial whiz younger brother.
"Everyone's getting hitched or getting pregnant," I observed.
"I know, so did you meet any hot man in Russia?" she asked excitedly.
"Nope."
"Whatabout Europe?"
"I saw a cute guy while riding the metro in Vienna," I replied.
"And..?"
"And I asked him what train I should take for this place I wanted to go."
"And...?" my friend didn't sound so excited by this time.
"And I smiled and he smiled, and he had the longest lashes in the world."
She grimaced. "In short, nothing happened." She rolled her eyes and attacked her turkey sandwich with renewed vigor.

We proceeded to talk about subjects we were more knowledgable about--career and travel--so we could ignore the current state of our romantic life.

A few hours later her younger sister called and asked to meet us. She had her 4 month baby with her. I'm not a baby person and I don't really know how to coo, but since the baby was my friend's niece, I decided to go along to meet the parents. The baby is a fat little piglet, and I say that with fondness.

After I left the family, I went in search for the vcd that has been elusive to me for the past weeks. I've been running around looking for a copy of Gael Garcia Bernal's movei, Amores Perros.



It was his debut film, a gritty, bloody, beautiful spectacle that brought him into Mexico's elite celebrity circle when he was just 21 years old. I failed to find a copy, but I won't give up and I'll try to bug people around for one.

After a futile search, I decided to check some accessories that my friends in the U.S. are telling me to bring and to sell to them and their friends. The prices here are pretty cheap, and these bracelets with semi-precious stones would be so much more expensive if you buy them in the U.S. I decided to model some accessories so that my friends can give their approval and opinions while I'm still here. What style is hot?



Leave your comments, I definitely want to read them.

After I left Podium, I drove back to the mall near my home to meet up with my cousin for drinks in the only wine bar in Alabang Town Center. ATC is pretty and reminds my American cousins of California with its laid back, open air charm and architecture. Even the people dress so California, wearing mostly tank tops, shorts, short skirts, and havianas for girls, while the guys wear whatever they want.

I finally ended my date with my city at 2am Sunday morning. It was an exhausting weekend, and Sunday was my sister's birthday.

So, did my back-to-back dates endear my city to me? Did I appreciate Manila more? Well, not really; we're like an old married couple trying to revive a flagging relationship but just can't get a break from our baggage. Well, atleast I had a good time trying--regardless of the result.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see you aer a Gael fan as well!

same here. I saw him first in El Crimen del Padre Amaro.

The bracelet shots look nice :)

thanks for the mail.
let's exchange links!

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home