Life is Motion

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Joga Bonito




One will wonder why a country that has been colonized by Spain for 300 years behaves more American on the outside, although quite Latin on the inside. The Philippines was under Spain as long as Brazil was under Portugal, and yet, we do not speak Spanish and we did not learn to love joga bonito, or the "beautiful game" = futbol.

I only watched the World Cup because I am a fan of Ronaldo and Ronaldinho. They are heroes of Brazilians and anyone who even has a tiny appreciation for futbol. Through the weeks, I have learned to love the spirit of the game and how it brings people from different cultures and backgrounds together. I think Futbol brings out love and peace amongst nations more than any other sport in the world.

The Philippines is ailing and needs a hero. The closest we have are our athletes because the politicians and the highest office in the land are stricken with endemic corruption, one of the worst in this continent. But looking at how our lone sports hero Manny Pacquiao is shaping up, I see another traditional politician in the making and I am grossed out. So I thank Brasil first and teams of Joga Bonito second for making me see that real heroism is the spirit and beauty that the games bring to a global community, and not just the magnetic personality of a few men.

Thank You FIFA World Cup 2006
Muito Obrigado
Merci beaucoup
Dankë
Arigato gozaimashita
Spassibo
dank U wel kiitos
Mille Grazie
Kamsa hamaida
Muchas gracias
Dyakuyu
Tack så mycket

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home