Life is Motion

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

All this drama

You got to hand it to this 3rd world country; even though I've lived here all my life, there are still moments when I get jerked off my relative complacency.

The Philippine has one of the worst drivers and predestrians in the world. We simply do not care about anyone or anything. Drivers don't sweat about the traffic rules, they ignore traffic signs, and bribing the traffic police to get out of a violation is a norm. The pedestrians cross everywhere, at anytime, and they would even flash you an angry face if you honk on them for illegal crossing (like running across the middle of the highway). So yeah, my foreign friends are constantly repeating their uniform mantra that, "I can never drive in the Philippines" whenever I drive them around the city.

I was driving this afternoon and was quite in a rush. I was passing through the serivce road which meant the north and south lanes are single lanes. I was going north, and the lane going south was congested. Now, this litttle tricycle on the south lane was vainly trying to cut in line, and it was taking up 1/2 of the entire lane going north (aka, blocking my lane). I had to make a full stop and wait for the pesky tricycle to cut in the line, but I gave the driver a dirty look for blocking my way. Instead of being embarrassed, or atleast pretending not to see me, the arrogant driver had the fuckn gal to cuss at me. He looked through my driver's window and started shouting and cussing at me because I gave him a look he deserved for blatantly cutting in at traffic and in the process, blocking the opposite lane.

How does that make sense? You're wrong, you get reprimanded, and you have the audacity to act like you are the abused one? Heck, I only gave the ugly man a hard stare, and he starts cussing? Did I hurt his macho pride? He couldn't stomach a woman making him look like the fool that he is?

That's the problem with all these inane local soap operas where the poor are always portrayed as abused and yet heroic, and since the Philippine masses adore these trash tv shows, the poor often identify themselves as victims of anyone with money. The arrogant tricycle driver must be thinking, "Fuck you little girl in your airconditioned car and acting like an annoyed Princess...Eat my dust since you hardly know how it feels like to get dirty on the road everyday...(add more dramatic soap opera dialogue here)."

Just another day, just another drama in the land ruled by a midget pretending to be president, of macho mama's boys who think that sperminating the missus and contributing to the street children population is simply being a good Catholic, and where there exists a bunch of socialites calling themselves "The Gucci Group," even if fake Guccis are everywhere and sold at a dime a dozen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home