Life is Motion

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Not your typical fan

Gawd, get him away from his stylist. Japanese men can be stylish, not necessarily looking like they channeled the shoulder-padded 80's. So why the heck does Bi look like an oriental michael jackson during the days when mj was still black?

I hate Bi's fan meets. I have such intense dislike for them.
Ok, maybe his Korean fan meetings are tolerable, but the ones in Japan just suck.


Fan's Account: Birthday Party cum Fan-Meeting
Pt 3by 雨在故我在@ Biwithrain// jinlees@soompi
Ch to Eng: Rayndrop
I was in Japan tooYesterday's meeting was just fantastic...everybody got a momento with Jihoon's signature (although the signature was printed on, of course)I'll try to add in what I can remember. I can't remember some too clearly...please forgive me if there's any errors.
Q&A PortionThere was a qustion "Why do you think you're so popular in Asia?"
Jihoon actually said "Eyes", and the camera did a close-up on his eyes (Faint)
He also said "honto ni oishii desu" (Very delicious/ yummy)Super cute...
Asked if he has some spare time, how would he like to spend it?
He answered1. Spend it with his family
2. Go camping with his fans....at a hot spring... (yeah right, and Jennifer Aniston doesn't have big nose! i bet you'd ditch the fans for the hottest girl in the springs... and you shouldn't feel ashamed to admit it.)
OMG...everybody at the stadium said they wanted to go very much...camping at the hot springJust imagine that scenario...oh nosebleed...
[ ]The other portion of questions...more like requests I guess
1. Jihoon to wink at the camera. I was almost killed instantly at the stadium...Jihoon was wearing his little white cap.
He did his signature action and said "aishiteru" (I love you) with a wink
After he was done, he covered his face shyly...super cute...
2.Jihoon to do a most handsome or weirdest facial expression
So this kid...faced the camera and did a face which he explained as his expression when he is shocked. After he did it, he felt embarrassed and said sorry to everybody
3. Do a dance for everybody. Did a small portion of Break Down at the front of the stage(like a wind-up doll)
The birthday celebration portion...everybody sang the happy bithday song and did the wave for Jihoon
After the wave, Jihoon said, "Everybody can dance better than me"...what a cute kid(fuck, stop pretending to be kawaii! You are not kawaii--you used to live and breathe hiphop, damnit!)
A staff member pushed out a cake that is in the shape of a cloud
Jihoon looked very excited...he seemed like he really wanted to eat the cake
After blowing out the candle, he appeared to have seriously made his birthday wish
After that, he used his finger to dip and ate the cake...really looked very happy
He kept eating the strawberry that was used on the cake to form letters
Told everybody to "Hold on" (Because he wanted to eat)And pretended to feed everybody by dipping into the cake with his finger [Rayndrop: I don't mind eating off his finger...]
The host asked if he like eating sweet stuff...he said yes, very much And he asked if he liked crepes...he said he really really really liked them (talked like a little kid...so cute)Then we viewed the taped made by his Japanese fans for himThere was a kid dancing "It's Raining" crazily...and Jihoon laughed so much he couldn't stop
The composer of "Free Way" and AI also left a message for him
During his after-thought speech, he thanked the Asian fans...Such as China (there were some places in between...I forgot...was it Hong Kong?) Taiwan, Indonesia...When I heard Taiwan, I really wanted to scream...but I was alone(Not that I think he has a special liking for Taiwan, it's just that hearing my country being mentioned when I'm overseas...it touches me a little)
Asked about Jihoon's dreams, he said there are two...One is to begin his Asia Concert Tour this yearAnother is his development in the US (I personally feel that this is really means a lot to him) After that, he read his letter to fans...At first I thought I'll cry But when he began reading...Japanese is really a tough languageThe camera shifted to his letter...it was all written in hangeul...everybody started laughingBut he was really serious about reading the letterI'm sorry I can't really remember the content, but he did look very adorable trying to read the letter.
I can only remember the last part"Just like everybody has become a source of strength for him, he would like to be a source of strength for everybody too. Will continue to strive to become a Rain who will not disappoint everyone"(you're not perfect Bi. the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will stop pressuring yourself with unrealistic expectaions. You can go as far as you want, but you can never be perfect and not dissapoint people. You will, and that's all right.)

First of all, Jihoon is an entertainer, not a clown. He is not a wind-up doll that jumps when you clap, a tamagochi that says, "feed me" when a signal is triggered, or a paid jester in The King and the Clown.

I hate fan meets because I still see Bi performing on demand by hungry fans who want pieces of him that goes beyond the boundaries of his job. He is an entertainer who entertains through his music and movies, and we are recipients of his works. We buy the entertainment, but we do not pay for his personal life and personal time.

I feel that fan meets are moments that are taken away from his family and friends. Sure, in Asia, I think fan-idol dynamics are different from the West where the fans get their voyeuristic fixes from pappararizzis. I suppose its still better to conduct an official fan meet and dish out parts of your personal life than having to be tracked like a hunted animal so that people can gobble up parts of your private life.

I personally think that interviews should be enough. Signing autographs when he's out and about are enough. Annual fan meets are just lame. I only enjoyed his Korean fan meet because Bi was at his most natural and he was in home territory. When I see Bi enjoying and being comfortable, then atleast I don't feel he's being forced to do something beyond the call of duty. But the Budokan fan meet felt fake.

I hope Bi doesn't sink too much into faking a happy face just to impress the fans and the media wherein he won't be able to distinguish what his true feelings are as opposed to manufactured ones.

Damnit, you wanna go to America Bi? Start thinking about the American market. This freakn cute-sy act just turns my stomach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home