Life is Motion

Thursday, June 08, 2006

I didn't expect that!

I think bathrooms are one of the scariest things to prepare for when you travel. Different countries, different customs, different standards of living, and if you're a guest, you have to deal with it.

And I have.

I have dealt with some really hairy toilet episodes in my travels, but that's reserved for later. I'm thinking of sharing the amusing and interesting tales instead of the "it-never-happened" stuff.

So here are some anecdotes that flashed back to me for some strange reason:


KUALA LUMPUR

Ok, I went to LAKE GARDENS (TAMAN TASIK PERDANA) one weekend. I was assigned on a 2 month project in KL, and basically had nothing to do on weekends because there was no work. Kuala Lumpur Lake Gardens (Taman Tasik Perdana) is the greenbelt of KL, the city's most popular and scenic park, and a green sanctuary nestled deep in the city center with a host of attractions, many of them unique to the region.

One of the gardens within the 230 acre land is The Butterfly Park that houses some 6,000 butterflies of over 120 species. The park is an imitation of the butterfly's natural habitat. It includes more than 15,000 plants from 100 species that have been used to recreate a Malaysian rainforest atmosphere.

So, ok, enough of that. I was walking alone, and the place was amazing. The vegetation was colorful and beautiful and it was a sanctuary within the city. I saw a lot of butterflies which normally do not interest me, but because of their sheer number and diversity, I was impressed. As I walked over the bridges, through the stone pathways, and under the giant trees, I couldn't help but notice I was the only single person in the place. There were families enjoying the weekend together, but most of the visitors were couples! There were local couples, foreign couples, young couples, old couples, people on the verge of becoming a couple-- there were just too many couples! Holding hands, whispering, gazing into each others eyes, it wasn't a picnic for me. I don't have any problems of being single, but if you're the only single person in a place, it feels like crashing into a private party.

Which begs the question: "Are butteflies the newest aphrodisiacs?"

Masjid Negara (National Mosque): I arrived in Masjid Negara an hour early so I decided to come back a little later. The worshippers were still inside so I couldn't get in. Visitors can only go inside at designated times of a day, and they should wear the appropriate garments to cover any bare body part. It was the first time in my life I wore a burka that covered me from head to feet. I thought a hijab (long scarf that covers the head when modesty is required) was enough, but women visitors were given burkas at the door. It was so hot! I was sweating like a girl hiding her boyfriend in her room closet, and I couldn't help but lift the hem of my burka. I was wearing normal walking shorts, but I guess the site of bare skin inside the premises was still shocking even to other foreigners! The group of Japanese tourists were staring at me as though I grew 2 heads. I was almost afraid they'd start taking pictures or pose beside me with their V signs.



to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home